The weather service expects the rain to continue over the next few days.
Here are some tips for motorists planning on being on the road during these weather conditions:
- Wet roads cause them to be slippery and dangerous at high speed. Lower your speed, keep a safe following distance and put on your headlights.
- Look out for large puddles of water that could cause your vehicle to hydroplane, or you may lose control. Avoid splashing water on other vehicles or pedestrians.
- Ensure that your windshield wipers are in good condition and check your tyre pressure.
- Avoid drinking and driving.
- Drive safely, stay alert and do not use your cellphones whilst driving.
- Reminder to wear a mask and always add extra travel time when weather conditions are not suitable for the roadway.
Listen: ECR traffic reporter, Jayshree Parasuramen speaks to KwaZulu-Natal Transport MEC Bheki Ntuli about road safety, Alert Level 1 curfew and more.